Friday, May 23, 2008

Pee Wee

We got a fish . . .or had a fish. Our first fish was bought, along with a plastic bowl and some food, while I was grocery shopping at Meijer. It was a cute little calico goldfish. Riley named "her" Pee Wee. The next day grandpa came over to go to the fish store to get Pee Wee a friend, a pump, new tank, the works. He said the fish would last longer if we had a little filter/pump because it would put oxygen in the water and not make it so nasty. We went to Pet Food & More, got a new little bubble-eyed orange goldfish. Oh, I have to say I was tempted to get a bunny--a real pet. Spencer FLIPPED. she loves watching animals move around and eat and stuff. She nearly jumped out of her stroller, legs kicking, squealing. I love it. Riley was fascinated hovering over the tanks and watching the "bubbles." I think I was more excited about the fish than she was. I figure we needed a good starter pet, but now I'm thinking a goldfish isn't a good starter pet because they always die. I kill fish--it's just my nature. None of mine ever lived.

Anyway, Pee Wee #1 was looking a little funky so grandpa took care of him while Riley napped. She woke and didn't say a thing about it. She focused on her new fish, same name. This little guy was hungry. All he wanted to do was eat eat eat. It was fun to watch. Spencer got a total kick out of that little guy swimming all around. She was kicking her feet, hootin' and hollerin'. All the neighborhood kids (Olivia, Jackson, Hadley, Lilly) came over and were amazed by Pee Wee. They could have watched him all day. That was Tuesday. Today is Friday and I woke to find Pee Wee laying on his side, barely moving. What the heck happened? I told Riley he was sick and needed to see the fish doctor at the pet store so we'll be taking him in this afternoon. I'm determined to make this work. The fish was cute and fun to watch. Plus, I spent $40 on all the fish fixin's so I'm not going to let it go to waste.

No comments: